Thursday, March 22, 2007

Bling & Bollywood Set Sail

Tuesday was a sad but chill day. We hung out by the pool most of the day, I went to Bar 6 then Mark's with E and then the girls, and eventually the sad moment of goodbye arrived.

Classic : Hollywood jammed against the window of the taxi as it pulled away.

And then there were two. Bollywood and I went to our respective new homes, settled in, and eventually met up at a great bistro-parilla recommended by the owner of my what must be called boutique b & b. Don Justo, near Plaza Guëmes. Fabulous dinner accompanied by a brilliant bottle of Norton Cab Sauv 2005 (not DOC) - highly highly recommended, really light and smooth for a cab. And then, to continue the tradition - a shared dessert. Flambeed strawberries with vanilla helado - delish.

Yesterday, I properly explored Palermo, and discovered the most brilliant leather designer. More on that later, but if you are willing to take a leap of faith, let me know and I can perhaps pick up some bags for y'all. Email me if interested. Seriously looking into importing them, I can't get over the price points, style caliber, and quality. They are simple, innovative, but nor overly trendy or overly structured.

Later on, I met up with Bollywood in the Microcentro - her mom's flight was delayed until midnight. We walked around there, Monserrat, and Florida. We had a drink at Il Gran Cafe, where the waiter remembered me from two weeks ago (sniff) when I met up with the fabulous chicas who had lunched there (who he had kicked off other patrons for).

We had heard that Opera Bay, the club on the water which looks like the Sydney Opera house, has a great afterwork drinks scene on Wednesdays. Essentially, the 5 à 7 of Thursdays in Montreal. We actually rushed over, since it was nearing 9 pm, thinking it might be dying down by then. In most cities, it dies down around late dinner time... and picks up a bit among those who go out on weeknights a bit later. We were let in line but some guys who of course thereafter wanted to go on a South American walk... we said no, and then stopped at the spot where you pay cover. We almost didn't go in, balking at the 30 pesos (with a free drink, which is 15 pesos) cover charge - about $12.50 - but actually the exact same cover charge of Saturday night. But we decided, as we always do - we are here, let's make the most of it - so we went in.

Opera Bay has, we thought, about three main rooms with adjoining lounge areas, and then a large terrasse that connects some of them. We expected the main one of those to be open, perhaps with some tables, and people to be chillin, having drinks sitting, and then standing with drinks on the terrasse. We were wrong. Very wrong.

It was about three times as busy as Saturday night. Every room was PACKED. It was, literally, a sea of shirts. And the crowd was our age or older. We had previously found that it was generally a bit of a younger crowd, with the minority being above 28. Not last night. On top of the state of the place, packed, dancing everywhere, mad music - we discovered entirely new areas and elevated levels we had no idea even existed! A front upper terrasse! Two inside raised levels! One we saw but never even got to! A back portion of the terrasse we had never gotten to. The place just goes on and on. And also, a closed dining room for the supper club offered on Saturday nights. It was probably the busiest and biggest club I've been to. And it was a Wednesday. Bollywood and Bling were properly astounded.

Bollywood left today to continue her adventures around Argentina with her mom. She will eventually be back in Buenos Aires, but for now, it's just Blingos Aires. And then there was one...

I have finally confirmed that I leave next Tuesday. Sigh. So much to do until then! Looking forward to seeing everyone, but I have to say it seems like it's a tough adjustment! Oyo and ole!

2 comments:

Apt. #34 said...

Hey Bling! So jealous that get to continue to live it up in the BA. Head to Bar 6 or Mark's and have a cortado for me. I'll get my pics up on flickr soon and send them to the fabulous 7. I'll sign up for one of those leather bags and the wine!

JLA said...

Consider a limonada at mark's done.... I think I will dream of them until I return next.